Week 3 Story: Buck and Doe

Authors Notes: This story is taken from the Biblical story of Adam and Eve. In the creation of the world, God created Adam and he needed Eve. Satan tricks Eve into disobeying God by eating from the forbidden tree. Eve talks Adam into eating it also and God punishes them for their disobedience. This story was taken


Title: Adam and Eve
Authors: Genesis-Ginzberg-Book of Adam & Eve
http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/05/myth-folklore-unit-adam-and-eve.html

Adam and Eve at the Forbidden Tree
Link


In the beginning God created everything that was sky, land, oceans and animals. God saw that everything was perfect in his image and kept it that way. God then created a Buck to watch over the land and care for it. Buck gave all the creatures on the land names and took pride in God’s work. Buck needed someone to help him replenish the earth and care for it. So God took a rib from Buck and from it turned dust into Doe. Buck and Doe lived within the garden that God had created from them. However, God told them that they shall never eat the fruit from the Forbidden Tree!


As the days went on, Doe was walking through the garden and passed a serpent that tricked Doe into eating the fruit from the Forbidden Tree. “God will not punish you for eating from this plant!”, said the serpent. Doe followed what that serpent said to her and ate the fruit. Out of fear of God, Doe went to Buck and talked him into eating the fruit with her. God punished Buck and Doe for not following his word and disobeying him.


God placed Buck and Doe on the west side of the garden in a cave. He choose the west side of the garden because he didn’t want Buck to be tempted by the smells coming from the garden. God told Buck that they will spend 5000 and 500 years in the cave. Doe was sitting with Buck in the Cave and thought that Buck had died. She ran through the garden to God and explained to him that it was all her fault that Buck had ate some of the fruit. God told Doe that it was the serpents fault and because of it he was banished from God’s side forever.


In the end God remade a covenant with Buck and Doe. Buck became the first offering to God and now it is a custom to do so.

Comments

  1. Hi Hunter!

    I enjoyed your story! When I began to read it I was not ready for the Adam and Eve to be Buck and Doe. I thought this was a great twist on the original story. For some reason it reminded me of the Disney Classic "Bambi". I like how you stayed fairly true to the original story, but still had this major twist. It was easy to read and fun! One editorial note: in your author's note the last sentence is incomplete. I think you just forgot to delete it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hunter,
    These are the stories I grew up on. I did enjoy the unexpected twist because I grew up in the country and deer are constantly around my house. I found it as a piece of home. I did like the overall similarity to the classic tale from the bible. I also liked how you portrayed the characters in the same manner in which Adam and Eve were portrayed in Genesis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hunter

    I enjoyed this story! It was an interesting retelling of what is a very well-known story here for most of us who grew up in the States. Growing up in a Methodist family, I connected with the religious roots of this story. I actually turned out to not be very religious myself, so re-reading this allowed me to take a second look at the story from my current perspective. As a kid, I didn't really question God's reaction to Adam and Eve (or here, Buck and Doe) betraying him, but now that I'm older I do see it as a harsh reaction. Your version takes the punishment a bit further. I wonder, why weren't Doe and Buck sacrificed together? They both disobeyed God, and it technically was Doe who did it first, but it is Buck who is sacrificed.
    In terms of suggestions, I would just suggest that in certain places you offer more explanation of what is happening. In the last paragraph especially, I was a bit confused by the sequence of events, and some clarification would really help. Again, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hunter! This is a really interesting twist to the story of Adam and Eve. So, if I am understanding the ending correctly, Buck dies and basically becomes a sacrifice to God? Or am I misreading the ending? I'm probably misreading it the more I think about it. I read some of the Adam and Eve stories this semester and was kind of blow away by how disturbing some of them turned out (story where Adam kills and cooks the kid, I'm looking at you). What did you think of these stories?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Hunter!
    This is cool because I also wrote a very similar story about Adam and Eve! How odd! I mean, obviously they are entirely different stories with entirely different premises, but still! This is such an interesting twist to the original story, but I was super intrigued. I think I am along the same lines as everyone else, when I say that I am mildly confused! Overall, this is a really cool story and I am glad I got to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Hunter!

    Nice story! I also chose to read the Adam and Eve story, as it is an all time classic. I like how you changed it to Buck and Doe, which represents the male and female dynamic. Why did you choose to go with those names specifically? Also, I am a little bit confused about the story, especially the sacrifice part and Doe's conversation with God. I may need to read it again in a little bit more depth. However, I like that you give reason for why the tradition of sacrifice happens. I think, sticking with the animal theme, it would be really cool to see the reaction of the animals to the whole Adam and Eve saga. I wonder what their thought process would be throughout the ordeal. Which side would they be on, God's or Adam and Eve's? Maybe that could be a future writing prompt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: The Ghost Who Wrestled with a Man